Showing posts with label Nate Diaz. Show all posts
Showing posts with label Nate Diaz. Show all posts

Saturday

Return of the Mac-killer: Nate Diaz ends hiatus at UFC 241


ANAHEIM, California — The mostly empty arena rumbled with outsized excitement when Nate Diaz stepped onto the stage. The fans erupted into cheers while Diaz lit a joint and took a big drag before doing a little shadowboxing for the cameras.

Even before he said a word at his open workout four days before UFC 241, Diaz showed he can captivate an audience like no active fighter in the mixed martial arts world. Fighters can train for almost every skill in the game except charisma, and the Diaz brothers are laden with it.


The younger Diaz (19-11) returns from a three-year hiatus on Saturday night, taking on Anthony Pettis in his first bout since his two showdowns with Conor McGregor in 2016. A heavyweight title rematch between Daniel Cormier and Stipe Miocic is the main event, but many fans at Honda Center and around the world will be watching mostly to see what Diaz does next.

“I’m here as a businessman and a natural born killer,” Diaz said. “I’m here to get the job done, and he’s the guy to do it on, so there’s no problem. It’s all good with me. I’m just here to kill and stay alive for the weekend.”

Diaz and his older brother, Nick, receive a level of adulation in the MMA world that exceeds even their considerable accomplishments. It’s difficult to explain the Diaz appeal to observers who don’t have a full historical perspective on the pugnacious, thoughtful brothers’ omnipresence in their sport’s attitudes and images during the past 15 years, even when they weren’t competing very often.

Their swashbuckling attitude, angry disregard for authority, profane words of wisdom and athletic fighting styles all appeal tremendously to many people who support a young sport that’s still seen as repellent counterculture by a big segment of mostly aging sports fans.


Put it this way: A 22-year-old Nate Diaz once completed a submission finish with his legs while simultaneously thrusting two middle fingers in the air. You might love that or hate it, but you have an opinion.


“That’s the way I’ve been from Day One,” Diaz said. “It’s going to stay this way, too, until I’m 100 years old. I’m the Don of all this. If anybody is going to step in this room and say they’re the (butt)-whipper, I beg to differ.”

Even Anthony Bourdain, the late traveler and gourmand, famously filmed a segment with Nick and Nate for his CNN show on Los Angeles, not because the Northern California natives knew much about LA and its cuisines — other than the best weed, probably — but simply because Bourdain, a jiu-jitsu practitioner and MMA fan, was fascinated by the brothers’ outlaw ethos.

Some of the brothers’ behavior seems performative, but some of it isn’t: Both Nick and Nate have essentially walked away from the UFC for long stretches of their prime, turning down countless millions in prize money because they refused to compromise what they considered to be their principles.

Diaz split two tremendously entertaining matchups with McGregor and became one of the UFC’s biggest stars in 2016, but he is 34 years old now, and Saturday’s fight will be only his fifth since November 2013.


Diaz said he felt mistreated by the UFC, although he struggles to explain how its persistent attempts to book one of its most popular fighters constitute disrespect. Diaz turned down matchups worth millions, including a probable shot at Georges St. Pierre, and he lost a chance to return last year when future champ Dustin Poirier was injured before their bout.

Diaz also said he doesn’t fight for money. He and his brother, Nick, who hasn’t fought in nearly five years, are busy with Nick’s thriving gym in their native Stockton, California. Nate said they’ve also got a successful CBD business, to absolutely nobody’s surprise.

“They’ve been trying to degrade me the whole time I’ve been out,” Diaz said. “They’re trying to put me low on the card against not very big names. They also tried to give me huge names, but those fell through. It don’t matter. I believe I’m the main event in any event they’ve got. They’ll do the best they can to keep me from that.”

Diaz’s complaints are more likely a distilled version of that everyone-is-against-me mentality that drives so many athletes. But he was tempted back by a matchup with Pettis, who nurses a grudge against Diaz that apparently isn’t mutual.

Diaz dismissively refers to Pettis as “this Wheaties box” in reference to Pettis’ former endorsement deal with the cereal, but has mostly ignored Pettis’ pointed criticisms.

Diaz won’t say whether he plans to fight again, or whether he would like his first UFC title shot since 2012. He will stick to his own timetable and goals while nursing the same attitude that kept him on top of the UFC star pyramid even during three years away.

“No one on the roster for the last three years even read the blueprints,” Diaz said. “I’m right there. Why don’t you go take it? And nobody did, and tomorrow, if some of these young guys say they’re going to step up and take my position, I’m not with that.”

source: sports.inquirer.net

Tuesday

UFC: McGregor will return to FW after Diaz bout, Dana White says


Reigning Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) featherweight champion Conor McGregor (19-3) has has yet to step inside the octagon for his rematch with Nate Diaz, but Dana White has already laid out the plans for his next fight.

According to the UFC president, the Irish sensation will make his return at 145 lbs, regardless of the outcome of his upcoming fight at UFC 202 in Las Vegas on Aug. 20.


“I fully expect Conor to come back and defend his 145-pound title,” White officially confirmed in a report on UFC.com.


“The Notorious” has been a hot commodity for fighters looking for a hefty payday in recent months, including recently crowned UFC lightweight champion Eddie Alvarez (28-4), who also expressed his desire to have a crack at the victor of the UFC 202 main event.

“I know Nate Diaz is fighting Conor McGregor and I would like to try and get the winner of that fight,” Alvarez was quoted as saying in the report. “Hopefully somebody comes out on top there and they sign on the dotted line.”

Although there has yet to be an announcement on his possible opponent, longtime featherweight champion Jose Aldo (26-2) is believed to be the next in line for McGregor, after his hard-fought five-round victory against perennial contender Frankie Edgar.

White, meanwhile, hyped the McGregor-Diaz rematch as potentially the biggest in UFC history, and expects it to be just as good, if not better, than the first fight.

“If you look at how big Manny Pacquiao-Floyd Mayweather was and how big Diaz-McGregor 1 was – Diaz-McGregor delivered,” White said. “That fight delivered on all the hype and all the excitement and energy, and this one will, too.”

The 47-year-old UFC head honcho further explained his high hopes for the highly anticipated bout, which Diaz won in the second round with a rear-naked choke.

“Just stylistically and the way these guys fight, it’s impossible for Diaz-McGregor not to be a ridiculous fight,” White told UFC.com. “If you look at the first fight, Conor was absolutely just dominating and then gassed out. Diaz took every ounce of punishment and then as soon as he saw Conor started to slow down and was tired, he jumped right on him. It’s everything you love as a fight fan,” he added.

Aside from McGregor’s future, the UFC President also shed light on the current UFC Welterweight title picture, as reigning champion Tyron Woodley requested to be matched against the reportedly returning George St. Pierre  or Nate Diaz’ older brother and main event staple, Nick Diaz.

“I think that Nate feels his brother should have the fight at 170, but Nick is not going to come back and fight for the title right away,” White said.

“There are other guys deserving of a title shot. Stephen ‘Wonderboy’ Thompson is going to fight for the 170-pound title and then we’ll see what happens with Nick and Nate.”  Khristian Ibarrola

source: sports.inquirer.net

Saturday

Conor McGregor a no-show, and off of UFC 200


LAS VEGAS — Conor McGregor’s seat was vacant, and so now is his spot headlining the big UFC 200 card this summer.

The Irish fighter was a no-show at a press conference Friday promoting the card, and UFC President Dana White said he would not meet Nate Diaz in a rematch on top of the July 9 card in Las Vegas.

“You have to show up to promote the fight,” White said. “It’s part of the job. It’s what we do here.”

Not to be outdone, McGregor tweeted that he respected the fact other fighters traveled to the press conference “but not everyone up there made the company ($)400 million the last 8 months.”

The dispute over promotional duties means UFC’s biggest card of the year will be without McGregor, the wildly popular fighter who lost to Diaz last month in a major upset. Diaz indicated he might not fight, either, though White said he was looking for an opponent for him.

“If it doesn’t happen I’m going on vacation,” Diaz said.

White left a seat on the dais vacant at a press conference at the MGM Grand, though McGregor made it clear earlier this week that he wouldn’t be attending. McGregor posted on Facebook that he couldn’t afford the time he would need to leave his training camp in Iceland for a series of promotional appearances for the card.

But White noted the fight was nearly three months away, and that UFC is spending $10 million to promote the card and needed McGregor to participate in the promotion.

“People (other fighters on the card) came from Poland and Brazil. Is that fair?” White asked. “It sets a bad precedent. These guys came in from all over the world and they’re here.”

McGregor had asked for a quick rematch with Diaz, after moving up in weight to lose to him in a fight he dominated early. The two signed contracts, but McGregor disrupted plans when he refused to travel to Las Vegas from Iceland to promote the bout.

White said he is not angry with McGregor and expects him to fight again, just not on the landmark UFC 200 card that will be held at the new T-Mobile arena on the Las Vegas Strip. He said McGregor could fight the winner of the bout between Jose Aldo and Frankie Edgar, which is on the UFC 200 card.

Also on the card is Miesha Tate, who upset Holly Holm last month and will meet Brazil’s Amanda Nunes. White said it is also possible that light heavyweight Jon Jones could meet Daniel Cormier on the card if Jones wins his fight Saturday against Ovince Saint Preux.

McGregor is the biggest pay-per-view attraction the UFC has, but White said the card will have plenty of attractive fights. He said he understands fans want to see McGregor on UFC 200, but that he had to take a stand.

“It’s an unpopular decision, but it’s the right decision,” White said.

The press conference took place before the weigh-in for UFC 197, which features Jones vs. Saint Preux for the light heavyweight title and Demetrious Johnson against Henry Cejudo in a flyweight title bout.

source: sports.inquirer.net

Monday

McGregor earns $1M in loss to Diaz


Conor McGregor may have lost to Nate Diaz in the main event of UFC 196, but he still came out of Las Vegas as the biggest winner.

In a report from MMA Junkie, the UFC featherweight champion, arguably the biggest draw in the sport, earned $1,000,000 despite the defeat.

Diaz and Holly Holm, who yielded her title to Miesha Tate, each took home $500,000.

Tate received $92,000 including a $46,000 win bonus in the co-main event.

Based on the disclosed paydays from the Nevada State Athletic Commission, UFC 196 churned out $2,871,000 to all the fighters.

McGregor was forced to tapped out in the second round due to the rear-naked choke applied by Diaz while Holm was also submitted using the same technique by Tate in the fifth round.

What’s not included in the report was the payout given by UFC president Dana White to Diaz and McGregor for “Fight of the Night” honors and to Tate for delivering the “Performance of the Night.”

source: sports.inquirer.net

Sunday

Diaz submits McGregor in round 2 at UFC 196


Nate Diaz silenced Conor McGregor via rear naked choke in a major upset at UFC 196 on Sunday.

McGregor pretty much dominated Diaz in the majority of the fight, even opening a cut above the latter’s right eye.

Diaz then managed to put the brash Irish fighter in a submission, forcing the featherweight champion to tap out in the second round.

Their non-title fight started off with McGregor consistently teeing off on Diaz even until the second round.

Diaz managed to find an opening, using his length to land big strikes on the featherweight champion and giving him the opportunity to transition to the choke out.

source: sports.inquirer.net