Friday

Donaire: 'KO to Walters was a blessing, I'm in a must win fight'


Nonito Donaire Jr. says there losing his WBA world featherweight title by knockout to Nicholas Walters last year had a positive effect.

Donaire, who just turned 33 last November, says the KO loss made him re-dedicate himself to the sport and regain the focus he once forgot.

"When I was down on the canvas in the Walters fight I thought to myself, 'this is a blessing.' It was a blessing because I had lost my way, not giving boxing the respect it deserves," Donaire quipped.

"I was searching for something. I was unsatisfied. I went home and re-dedicated myself to the sport. I worked harder in the gym. I got out of bed early in the mornings and did my running."

Donaire (35-3, 23KOs) is currently riding a 2-0 knockout win streak since that fateful evening.

Now back at the 122-pound division, Donaire is once again in contention for the world championship when he battles Cesar Juarez (17-3, 13KOs) on December 11 (December 12 PHL time) for the vacant WBO world super bantamweight title.

"My opponent is a tough guy and he is hungry like a wolf. My job is to beat the wolf.  He's actually ranked higher than me (by the WBO). He is no. 1 and I am no. 2," said Donaire.

"I must win on Friday night. I am out of setbacks. My speed has increased. I can feel my power is much stronger. I had a great camp. I must win." - JM Siasat/RAF, GMA News

source: gmanetwork.com